Today we took the covers off VxRack – the EMC hyper-converged RACK system-level architecture delivered by VCE.
It’s now more clear what I meant in this post when we announced the first expansion of VCE’s Converged Infrastructure portfolio.
Also, I would recommend reading this post on the CI taxonomy of BLOCKS, RACKS, and APPLIANCES before reading this post.
Here are the key things to understand about VxRack:
- VxRack is a RACK system architecture. VxRack it has a design center of FLEXIBILITY.
- VxRack is an engineered system – not an appliance. I’ll explain this in a little bit.
- VxRack will come in multiple personas (think “different model numbers”). The first persona, the VxRack 1000, will be an open persona (can have any mix of vSphere, KVM, baremetal, ScaleIO storage-only). This is for customers who want choice of vSphere, but perhaps other abstraction models – and any combination thereof. It will use ScaleIO as the SDS data service layer.
- VxRack will come in another personal later this year built on a vSphere-only persona. This is based on joint collaboration around VMware’s EVO:RACK project, and will use VSAN as the SDS data service layer.
- The “Vx” in VxRack means that like the “Vx” in VxBlock it is not fixed to Cisco UCS and Nexus networking. The first VxRack model will use Cisco Nexus for ToR switches and whitebox servers. They all come from EMC from ODM partners – and have the single support model and experience VCE is known for.
- VxRack will integrate with the whole CI portfolio from EMC – including integration with VCE Vision that is used with Vblocks and VxBlocks (and in the future VSPEX Blue). Our view is that CI will come in different types (BLOCKS, RACKS, APPLIANCES), and customers will have varying amounts of various types – but they will want them to integrate together.
- VxRack will leverage a cool underlying hardware management and orchestration layer because it uses a lot of low-cost industry standard hardware, so we need a “hardware abstraction level” – I’ll discuss this more on Day 3.
- VxRack will potentially have other future unannounced personas. It could very well be a vehicle for something we’re going to talk about on Day 3.
Read on past the break to learn more, and see the VxRack tech preview in action :-)