So much going on - so busy :-)
With the start of Q4 (it’s Oct 2nd) - there are lots of releases happening (and I’m sure this is far from exhaustive)
- Puppet Enterprise 2015.3 - strange to not start with an EMC or Federation thing - but Puppet is not only a partner, a company/tech I run into frequently at customers, but also a key part of the Federation Enterprise Hybrid Cloud stack. Big release from them around a more complete App Orchestration - here.
- VPLEX Geosynchrony 5.5
- Optimal Path Management: Optimal Path Management (OPM) enhances VPLEX performance by optimizing distributed cache messaging and cache locality (up to 25% faster for Local, up to 10% faster for Metro)
- Back-end path policy to improve throughput and latency
- REST API for performance statistics: A new REST enabled CLI command (monitor get-stats) has been added to allow you to gather VPLEX statistics using the REST interface.
- Quick vault and restore on power failure: VPLEX now reduces the amount of data at risk on power failure by starting a vault immediately on power loss detection. It also reduces data unavailability by restarting and allowing the VPLEX service on a director to run after the power has been restored on it.·
- VPLEX Cluster Witness support for VMware ESXi 6.0
- Enhancement to provisioning using VIAS (VPLEX Integrated Array Services): VPLEX release 5.5 has these VIAS enhancements:
- now supports provisioning on VMAX3 and XtremIO storage arrays. The supported versions of XtremIO are 4.0.1, 3.0.3, and 3.0.2.
- VIAS now supports Service Level Objective (SLO) and workload selection on EMC VMAX3 storage arrays.
- Volumes and storage groups are exposed for provisioning in VIAS
- You can now specify storage groups for EMC VMAX2 arrays
- Of course, ViPR can be used for a broad set of heterogenous integrated provisioning actions, but in the same way that we also keep working to integrate Unisphere across platforms - VIAS is handy for all EMC-customers who have VPLEX fronting EMC platforms - a simpler provisioning model. Cool demo here:
- Virtual Storage Integrator 6.6.3. An unbelievable (and still free!) plugin for vCenter and integrates the full EMC portfolio.
- Best place to get the scoop is with Itizk here.
- EMC Storage Analytics 3.3 - built on vRealize Operations, but an incredible set of capabilities far above and beyond a simple adapter (the adapter is available standalone)
- Supports upgrades from VMware vRealize Operations Manager 6.0.x and EMC Storage Analytics 3.2.x.
- Supports the OpenStack architecture.
- Supports vVNX virtual volumes (VVols) topology and metrics through the VNXe collector.
- Provides remedial actions for alerts on VNX, VNXe, and XtremIO arrays.
- New XtremIO Volume and Snapshot Tag metrics can be used in association with Custom Groups to group or filter XtremIO volumes and snapshots by Tag value.
- Managing Custom Object Groups on the VMware website has more information about Custom Groups.New alerts have been added for RecoverPoint for Virtual Machines.
- Metric enhancements for ScaleIO, XtremIO, and VMAX3View/Report templates for VMAX and ScaleIOXtremIO and VMAX performance optimizationVMDK relationships
- New VMAX/VMAX3 views/reports
- SRDF Topology improvements
- Unisphere for VMAX metrics delivered via SMI-S
You can find more details on the VMAX features in the blog below: https://drewtonnesen.wordpress.com/2015/09/30/emc-storage-analytics-esa-3-3/
Lots of stuff - and a lot more to come before VMworld the week of Oct 14th!