[updated Sept 2nd, 9:17pm – fixed links]
This session (presented on Monday) was all about the broad topic of “what the heck is going on” in the land of SDS (and by analogy SDN) – and aims to answer these questions:
- Control Plane and Data Plane – what the heck are they?
- Where do should they be architected into the IT stack?
- What the heck is up with VMware and EMC, in effect competing (VSAN vs. ScaleIO and all external storage)? (hint, while VSAN **does** offer an alternative, it’s not that simple). What about different views on how to abstract storage control planes (VMware SPBM and EMC ViPR).
- Why is there such diversity in storage data plan architectures (amongst large storage vendors, storage startups, shared arrays vs. distributed software stacks, all flash arrays and hybrids)?
- What is everyone doing about the above?
This deck is the “companion” for this blog post that describes the core VMware, EMC, and federation strategy in this space (the “hourglass” strategy slides have proven very popular with customers to quickly and easily understand – they are in this deck if you want to steal them).
Click on the below to download:
(if you want the version with the embedded demos used – WARNING – VERY LARGE 170MB FILE – click here)
Enjoy, and share!