EMC World 2013 has been in planning for months already… and will be HUGE. I’ll do another post on EMC World in a bit – but in the meantime, if you’re in the business of information (and who isn’t?) – it’s the conference of the year (including the CIO Summit and the Data Scientist Summit).
Here’s my top 10 reasons to go:
- EMC World 2013 will feature our biggest announcement of the year. Project Bourne (something I’ve hinted on here, and ElReg speculated – with errors Chris, but pretty good - here) will be introduced. It’s a core part of EMC’s new Software-Defined Storage offering and is ground breaking technology. It is big, broad, and ambitious. Could we mangle it? Sure. If we nail it, it could be huge. It is something not to be missed!
- Monday’s keynotes are David Goulden & Jeremy Burton on Monday night
- Tuesday’s keynotes are Joe Tucci and Paul Maritz in the morning, and Pat Gelsinger on Tuesday afternoon
- Deep roadmap updates from Brian Gallagher on VMAX, VPLEX, Recoverpoint; Rich Napolitano on VNX/VNXe; Amitabh Shrivistava on SRM, Smarts and a deeper Bourne drill down; Guy Churchward on Avamar, Networker Data Domain, Atmos; Zahid Hussain on XtremIO, XtremSF, XtremSW; Bill Richter on Isilon
- EMC World 2013 will be the most technical EMC World ever. With over 500 sessions – it’s a killer opportunity to talk to the engineering and product folks DIRECTLY. They want your feedback.
- EMC World 2013 will be the most HANDS ON EMC World ever. There are hands on labs (see after the break for details) and birds of a feather sessions where you can connect with your fellow customers.
- If you thought the main hall was great last year, then you will be blown away this year. Same 400' + screen, same 18:1 aspect ratio, same amazing video … but introducing holographic projection and a software-defined bat cave. Trust me, you have never seen anything like this.
- There will be some fascinating strange things – we’ll be aiming to top the Chad’s World/Area 51 efforts from years past where we share some stranger things.
- There will be a HUGE SE conference – for almost all the EMC SEs (it won’t be a good time of year to ask for technical proposal advice in the field :-) they will be there, sharing, learning. And, like anything we try to do – it is OPEN TO OUR PARTNERS. Partners – see details after the break.
- Finally, fresh from his success at this years' Grammy's, we will be featuring Bruno Mars ( !)at our Wednesday night party.
It. Will. Be. Epic!
Register by clicking on the link below!
While not quite the magnitude of the draw of EMC World – the EMC SE conference overlaps with EMC World. It won’t have quite the theatrics, explosions and pageantry of the main stage, but if you’re a SE nerd like me, it’s where you want to be :)
For EMC SEs and the technical folks at the partner – this will be the second year that we follow the manifesto principles below (see the full list here) and open it up to any and all of our partners – here are two principles that directly apply:
- We live ONE EMC.
- Think: While we all are part of “tribes” (people both inside and outside EMC who share our passion, interests and beliefs) – we share openly, transparently, publicly with all EMC and the world. We respect others and bias towards blindness to organizational boundaries and lines.
- We are positive force.
- Think: We think of the customer, our tribe, ONE EMC, the community at large, the world - and never go negative on the bad guy.
Follow on past the break for the details!
Ok – first topic after the break: the EMC World hands on labs (HoL) sessions. Each has two or more “captains” – EMC SEs and product engineers. For those of you curious – this runs on top of the vLab infrastructure, but also with lots of extra “secret sauce” we’ve learnt and gleaned from VMworlds and EMC World’s past. The goal is to have all the labs show up in vLab quickly afterwards.
- HOL01 – SRM Suite – Visualize, Analyze, Optimize
- HOL02 – VNX with AppSync Lab: Simple Management, Advanced Protection
- HOL03 – EMC Software-Defined Storage
- HOL04 – EMC Service Assurance Suite for IT Management
- HOL05 – Atmos Cloud Storage: Mature, Robust and Ready to Rock. See real-world, software defined storage for unstructured content in action
- HOL06 – EMC NetWorker Backup and Recovery for Next Generation Microsoft Environments
- HOL07 – Faster Backup and Recovery with EMC NetWorker Leveraging EMC VNX Snapshots
- HOL08 – Easier and Faster VMware Backup and Recovery with EMC Avamar For the Storage Administrator
- HOL09 – Automated Backup and Recovery for Your Software Defined Data Center with EMC Avamar
- HOL10 – Taking Backup and Archiving To New Heights with EMC SourceOne and EMC Data Domain
- HOL11 – Optimizing Backups for Oracle DBAs with EMC Data Domain and EMC Data Protection Advisor
- HOL12 – Operational and Disaster Recovery using RecoverPoint
- HOL13 – Achieving High Availability in SAP environments using VMware ESXi clusters and VPLEX
- HOL14 – Introduction to ArrayAware with VPLEX
- HOL15 – Introduction to VMAX-CE (Cloud Edition)
- HOL16 – Replication for the VMAX Family
- HOL17 – Performance Analyzer for the VMAX Family
- HOL18 – Introduction to the VMAX Family
- HOL19 – Storage Provisioning and Monitoring with EMC Storage Integrator (ESI 2.1) and Microsoft System Center Operations Manager
- HOL20 – EMC|Isilon Compliance Mode Cluster Setup, Configuration, and Management Simplicity
- HOL21 – EMC|Isilon Enterprise Ready with OneFS 7.0 Enhancements
- HOL22 – RSA Cloud Security and Compliance
- HOL23 – VMware vSphere Integration with VNX
- HOL24 – VNX Unisphere Analyzer
- HOL25 – VNX/VNXe Storage Monitoring & Analytics For Your Business Needs
- HOL26 – VNX Data Efficiency
- HOL27 – VNX Unisphere Administration & Snapshots
- HOL28 – VNXe Unisphere Administration & Snapshots
- HOL? - VSPEX XEN Desktop VDI
- HOL? - VMware vCD Lab
- HOL? - Vmware Horizon Lab
- HOL? - Cisco Lab #1
- HOL? - Cisco Lab #2
Second topic: the SE Conference. The current agenda for the week looks like the below. The blue boxes are non-SE conference things. We listened to all the feedback from last year – and many of you wanted to spend more time with customers, in the labs, and in the main keynotes and sessions. Done! BTW – don’t bother writing it down. I expect it to bounce around, and plus we will have a mobile event calendar.
In the technology breakouts, there will be the following sessions that will be for all the SEs (BRS teams will go to the BRS-specific topics):
- 5 BU (Enterprise Storage Division, Advanced Storage Division, Flash Business Unit, Isilon and Unified Storage Divisions, and BRS) breakouts
- 4 Apps (VMW, MSFT, ORCL, SAP)
- 4 Presales Arts & Tools (EMC Pitch, Googlezon, Competing, Tools
- For BRS-specific topics – there are 7 90 min time slots (Tues/Wed), broken 16 topics (3 MANDITORY), 3 Products (101, 201, 301), 7 Electives
Like last year – we will be bringing the EMC SEs from the Americas, EMEA and selected ambassadors from APJ to ensure we get a global perspective. There are 2x more APJ ambassadors than last year – which is great! For APJ as a whole, we will be holding an APJ Conference – making sure that everyone gets it all, delivered locally in local language.
For SEs attending, there are SUPER VIP awards (these are SWANK, and you WANT TO WIN…) – the way you win is to create a funny, engaging, KILLER video – you can see, and VOTE for the submissions at the link below:
(so far, my favorites are “Scary Workload”, “Extreme Partnerships”, “SE Harmony”, SE’s Got Talent” – they are hilarious – keep them coming!!!!)
If you are a partner – the way it works is simple:
- Get yourself to EMC World. Register!
- Talk to your EMC Partner SE. They are getting details on a few little details this week to ensure that you get in.
- Then, just come and join us for as much as you would like. The doors are open.