Those of you that know me, know that I truly, fundamentally believe in the power of openness and transparency. You also know that I’m a fan of a simple rule, a simple axiom that leads to good partnering:
“Anything that is available for EMC internally, I think should be open to our EMC Velocity Partners”
I’m not claiming I’m Gandhi here :-) This statement to me is a statement of the blindingly obvious. 2012 was a year of a lot of learning for me – the power of the bully pulpit when you are a leader is you CANNOT reach down and affect directly, but you can set tone, and guide direction – and man, it can move a lot.
- We opened our SE conference to partners (BTW – 2013 will be open too! Details coming soon – will overlap with EMC World 2013)
- We opened up all our quarterly training to partner via the “backstage pass” – Q1 training is up! Our partners now get it the same time – and same content – as our internal folks do. This means our partners can ramp up on EMC technology before anyone other than us – and they do it at the exact same time as us.
- We opened up our “Godzilla” bootcamps to our partners – and in 2013, we’re running the “Appzilla” sessions – and will do the same.
- We opened up our Presales Advisory Council to select partners and EMCers – where they get direct feedback on everything
- We opened up our vLab and Workload Profile Assessment tools.
There’s still a lot to do – I’m tackling the broader tools agenda now – tools like the Installed Base and Support tools. As we update our core configuration and quoting tools, am pushing hard to eliminate “partner quoting tools” – I think the partners and EMC internally should use the SAME TOOL. This is tough – but we’re making progress.
The best part? When other people take up the mantle, share the belief, and just start to do it themselves. That’s the beginning of a movement :-)
That just happened.
The team responsible for corp communications decided to make most of our internal Sales Kickoff videos available to Velocity partners. This is the core communication we use internally to our field. You can see directly what the leaders in EMC tell our own people.
We know the partners are busy, so we edited them down to mainly 30 minutes or less – but not based on “secret info”. We also considered the relevancy of the Business Unit content and included the most relevant BU videos for partners.
In total, this gives partners access to:
- 5 Global Executive Keynotes
- 3 Global Customer Stories
- 3 BU breakouts (1 for BRS and 2 for Mid Market)
Let this virus continue to sweep through EMC and the vendor community – and infect us all! Feedback, as always – welcome!