It’s new, and it’s good :-)
- VMFS-5 increases limits (without increasing extents) to 64TB.
- It enables 2TB+ RDMs.
- It uses a common allocation size of 1MB.
- It increases the small block allocations available for total use.
- It is a dependency for SCSI UNMAP
- It uses the VAAI HW accelerated locking more extensively.
A couple things that it doesn’t do:
- Increase the maximum LUN counts. Although frankly, with the fact that people should be using larger datastores with VAAI and VMFS-5, that should help with this.
- While it can non-disruptively be upgraded from VMFS-3 to VMFS-5 – this doesn’t net you all the goodness. IMO, if it were my environment – I would tend to create new datastores and svmotion. If I were large, I would still do it that way – but would do it programmatically.